Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default new gas furnace recommendations needed

badgolferman, 2/16/2007,1:34:08 PM, wrote:

My 17-year-old Carrier furnace has a cracked heat exchanger. I have
received three different quotes that I would like advice on please.

My house:
built in 1989, under 1700 sq. ft., rancher on slab, vaulted ceiling in
great room with two skylights, three bedrooms, 75,000 btu gas furnace
in attic

quotes:
- Amana AMS8 70,000 btu 80%, warranty 20, 5, 2 $3349 (the guy who
came on the service call)
- Lennox G40 70,000 btu 80%, replacement 2.5 ton evaporator coil, same
warranty, $3300
- York Choice or Trane XB, 20,5,1 warranty, $2400 or with replacement
3 ton coil $3500

I plan on being in this house another 1-2 years.

The gas company came this morning and confirmed the problem. He walked
in with his detector and it was beeping. He went to the furnace and
took some readings up there and the detector he used for that has an
LCD display that read 5. He also turned off the emergency switch and
said not to turn it back on. I showed him my quotes and he was
satisfied that I was acting to correct the problem. He told me to get
out my space heaters and use them.

I called one of the contractors and they are coming by today with extra
space heaters and to take measurements. This contractor is reputable,
has been around our area for a long time and has been recommended to me
by co-workers in the past. I have no reason to doubt my furnace is bad
now, it's just more an issue of getting my family comfortable soon.