David Hearn

Default Cooker Socket over Cooker?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Problem is, moving the cooker socket is going to take a sparky
(not me!) about 2hours minimum to chase out a new cavern in the
wall, recable and refit etc. The cooker is electric if this is
any help.

Your main problem in moving it is that the supply cable might run

vertically
underneath the wall, which requires a wall mounted accessory to be

installed
as an indication to decorators not to drill. If you move the switch, there
might not be such an accessory.

If your cooker outlet plate (as opposed to the switch) is in line with the
cable, this won't be a problem and you can run a short horizontal run to

the
repositioned switch. The job is very simple, really. The biggest job is
retiling/plastering. 2 hours seems a reasonable time estimate. You should
insist on a "Minor Works Certificate" which you should keep for any future
conveyancing.

What's a "Minor Works Certificate"? I personally can't understand the need
for any certificate about moving a switch when coming to sell a house...
unless of course, you have fully up-to-spec wiring in the house, and need
the certificate to prove continued compliance. However, I suspect that the
majority of people don't have 100% in spec wiring, haven't had their wiring
checked in 10 years and therefore someone may still want a wiring check to
be done when buying and having a piece of paper saying the switch was moved
in properly is not going to be terribly useful.