Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default water heater: removing anode rod

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:10:39 -0600, Mike Hartigan
wrote:

In article , NOPSAMmm2005
says...
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:50:47 GMT, Ermalina
wrote:

The time to replace the anode rod is before the tank begins to rust. I
sounds like your tank has rusted considerably.

However, if you want to try replacing the anode rod now, use an impact
wrench to remove the old one. Tighten the new one by hand.

They make open-end impact wrenches?** What about just using an
open=end wrench and hitting it with a hammer? (while wearing goggles)

**Or is he supposed to cut the pipe off first?

It sounds like you might be confused. There is no pipe attached to
the anode. A standard 6-point socket will do just fine. Even a 12-
point should do the job, if that's all you have handy.

Yeah, I was confused. Thanks. I built a shelf over my WH, with only
a foot clearance, so I would like to replace anodes when appropriate,
but a lot of trouble to move everything and unscrew the shelf etc.

But other people ask me for advice, can you believe that, and I
understand this now.