Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Finding the right wire, will a GB detector help?

mm wrote:

I read the post about a GB type detector with a transmitter and
receiver. But will it or something work with lower than 110 volts??

It's not 110v wires that I am confused by. I ran 4 pieces of
telephone line to my attic, one for the telephone**, one for a burglar
alarm sensor*** in the window frame, one for a smoke detector for the
burglar alarm, and one I don't even remember what for.

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:30:40 GMT, Robert Barr wrote:
Just use an ohmmeter. Unhook every wire at both ends. Strip & twist
two together. Go to the other end, and see which pair has continuity.
Continue until they're all identified. Pretty easy.

Thanks, not so easy in that I may have to cut into all 4 wires, but it
may be what I have to do.

(I wanted to splice into the middle of a wire, test on which side of
that point in the wire is the broken wire, and bypass the part that is
broken. )

If the GB detector is one where you plug a transmitter in a 120V outlet
and locate a breaker with a receiver, they work by putting a current
signal on the hot-neutral loop and detecting the signal. If you don't
have a loop (open wire) they don't work. Also they work on 120V circuits
- you probably don't want 120V on a phone line.

Are there more than 2 wires at the phone jack - can you substitute
another pair? Or find 2 wires out of all of them that work?

Phone repairmen use toners and probes like
http://www.professionalequipment.com...telecom-tools/
to trace phone wires. The toner attaches to one end. If you can borrow
one it may be useful to locate the phone wire in the attic.

If you 'tone' a broken wire and ground the other wires and other side of
the toner you may get a signal on one side of the break and no signal on
the other. (It worked on Romex with 120V as the signal and a Tic Tracer
as the signal detector - may not work with a phone toner.)

If you can get a 'non-contact' voltage detector like a Tic Tracer
http://www.professionalequipment.com...qx/default.htm
you could probably find the wire in the attic. Check the detection
caapability (Tic Tracer says 30VAC). Put an AC signal on the phone wire
- a 24V transformer worked with the Tic Tracer. Try powering between 2
wires or all wires to ground.

--
bud--