Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Cavity downstairs and solid wall upstairs?

ARWadsworth wrote:

Great, as you once did the job then can you please tell me why the CWI
installers insulated my gable end in the loft. I assumed this was
"dead" space and would not have needed insulating. I am not
complaining but just curious. They did a top quality job to my
requirements (ie work from inside and not smash any tiles in the
kichen)
Cheers

Adam

All walls must be insulated to the top of the cavity, so the peaks on gables
are always done, this is to prevent any water that may ingress from tracking
across the top of the 'stopped' insulation - if the cavity is 100% filled,
the water will simply make it's way down to the DPC naturally.

We only did peaks from inside the loft if there ws an obstruction outside in
the way of the ladders, or if the top was covered in timber cladding
etc...sometimes we did them from inside if the ladders wouldn't reach, but
we used 36ft ladders so this was a rarity.

All newbuild properties are done from inside prior to plastering