Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Simple stand to trim bowl blanks with a chain saw

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Actually, it is kind of easy to use a chain saw to round off a bowl blank
10" or better in diameter. The wieight is enough to stabilize it in the
saw buck I use with the round side down. I draw a circle on the top and
knock the corners off with the chian saw, leaving an octagon. then I use
the saw to make a flat on the rounded side. Finally I cut a couple of
wedges off the rounded side to make the roughing go faster and leave a
couple of small bits for scrap or kindling.

When I can, I'd rather bandsaw, but those wedges certainly do make good
kindling, don't they? Enough substance to the thick end to be more than a
flash, and easy to ignite on the thin. Set 'em on a bed of lathe shavings
and it's instant fire!