Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy/refill portable propane tanks

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:13:48 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Around here the cheapest thing to do is find one someone has put out for
the
trash because it is an old style that can't be refilled.

I saw some tanks at a junkyard, one which has a lot of autos, but a
lot of non-auto stuff too.

He asked me why I was buying one, and I told him the truth. He smiled
and sold it to me for whatever he said before, 5 dollars?

It was almost 5 pm and I went straight to the HD, and who do I see
when I'm coming out of the store. The same guy going in.

Take that to HD or
Lowes and they will give you a new one for a couple dollars. Then BJ's is
half the price for a fillup as anywhere else.

I have about 5 or 6 tanks running 2 grills and a refrigerator. Now I only
pick up the ones in the street if they are full, which they often are.

I have never seen a tank on the street, and I always look at the
trash. I will keep my eyes open though. What kind of n'hood has
tanks in the trash?

Apartment projects on the weekend closest to end of month. Abandoned grills
with tanks are routinely left next to the dumpsters by people moving out.
(usually in crappy condition from sitting out in weather on apartment
balcony, and they don't wanna risk spilling messy rocks in U-haul truck, or
truck rental guy told them they couldn't haul tanks in his truck.)

aem sends....