Old February 15th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy/refill portable propane tanks

"Tim R" wrote in message
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a new
lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do
most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven or
Circle K type stores ?

Thanks, Tim

Convenience stores
Garden centers
BBQ specialty stores
Supermarkets
Gas stations

Let's spin the wheel of fortune and see if we can price shop all of them,
just for you, without having any idea where you live, or what steps you've
taken to research this locally.

Old February 15th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

Tim R wrote in message ...
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a

new lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do

most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven

or
Circle K type stores ?

Thanks, Tim

I refill my own. Most of the supermarkets where I live have locked bins
outside of their stores where you can exchange. I don't know how much it
costs to exchange an empty one for a full one, but they're easy to have
refilled.

Cheri

You actually attach a hose to your empty tank and pump more propane into it?

Old February 15th 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim R" wrote in message
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a new
lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do
most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven or
Circle K type stores ?

Around here the cheapest thing to do is find one someone has put out for the
trash because it is an old style that can't be refilled. Take that to HD or
Lowes and they will give you a new one for a couple dollars. Then BJ's is
half the price for a fillup as anywhere else.

I have about 5 or 6 tanks running 2 grills and a refrigerator. Now I only
pick up the ones in the street if they are full, which they often are.

Might not be the same where you are.

Old February 15th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim R" wrote in message
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a new
lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do
most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven or
Circle K type stores ?

The places that swap tanks are generally the most expensive. I pay $10 for
a refill at BJ's here in New England. Any store that sells grills will sell
the tanks.

Old February 15th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim R" wrote in message
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a new
lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do
most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven or
Circle K type stores ?

Thanks, Tim

Cheapest way is to take it to where they have a big PROPANE tank, and sell
it by the gallon. Lots of gas stations have these.

Next, and more expensive are places where you exchange the tank.

All depends on convenience. I have eight, and (for me) it's worth it to run
to the gas station where they sell it cheapest.

Steve

Old February 15th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim R" wrote in message
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a new
lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and do
most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at 7/Eleven or
Circle K type stores ?

Thanks, Tim

Advantage of getting them filled yourself is cost.
Advntage of exchanging is you always have a tank. Tanks expire and need
replacing or inspection. Personally I think I save more getting it filled
for 10 years which will pay for a new one when the time comes.

Old February 15th 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
news

"Tim R" wrote in message
Decided to give up the charcoal ghost and go propane. Just bought a
new lp
gas grill and cart. Where's the best place to pick up a tank...and
do most
refill their own or go to one of these swap your tank bins at
7/Eleven or Circle K type stores ?

The places that swap tanks are generally the most expensive. I pay
$10 for a refill at BJ's here in New England. Any store that sells
grills will sell the tanks.

ACE Hardware refills propane tanks.(Orlando area)

Check your local Yellow Page directory.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik