Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default I can't believe what I heard today...

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
Left long enough fungi and insects will cause it to decay. I still
don't think it will be harmful to humans from contact alone. The
point I was making is that wood kept off the ground is not a good
propogation site for bacteria.

Not a biologist, I simply read several university studies on cutting
board materials and their relative safety from bacteria when I was
making a few cutting boards. I thought the man made materials would
be better. I was wrong based on what I read.

In the southern states many insurances companies are opting out coverage of
mold and mildew on home owners insurance. That stuff lives on the wood
inside walls in damp areas like bathrooms. It costs a fortune to remediate.