Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts Ray L. Volts is offline

Default Repair vcr crack gear???

wrote:
I have a multi system sharp vcr, and recently it refused to eject the
tape.
I found out the gear at the motor drive shaft that is responisble for
However, i am unable to find replacement gear.

The gear is a bit small, and using the krazy glue still can't make a
tight gear.

Is there anyway to repair the gear? any suggestion?

Thanks!

I'll assume this gear is nylon. In 25+ years experience, I have yet to
discover an effective and lasting method for bonding nylon to itself.

Solvents/adhesives supposedly made for the task don't perform well,
either, nor does heat welding. It's very difficult to keep a
cracked/slipping gear together when it's under that kind of
torsion/shearing stress.

That said, there are always alternatives. If this unit is worth the
trouble and expense to ya, you could make a mold of the original and
have a machine shop cut a new one from metal stock, or cast one yourself.
Better still, find for sale a used -- possibly malfunctioning for a
different reason -- vcr of the same model series as yours with a good
gear and cannibalize it.