Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

CW wrote:
: I'm not Leon but am an experienced plane user. It works much the same way as
: a jointer and it, like the jointer will not in any way ensure that the
: planed side is parallel to the other side.

Yup.

The jointer plane actually works slightly differently, in that the sole
of the plane before and behind the mouth are coplanar (unlike the
beds of a powered jointer, where the infeed table is slightly lower
than the outfeed), and the blade protrudes down below both (unlike
a jointer, where the blades are even with the outfeed table).

This ought to produce diffrent results, I would think, but in practice
one can joint a pretty straight edge with a plane. I've never been sure
of exactly why!

-- Andy Barss