Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default water heater: removing anode rod

"George" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:54:04 GMT, George wrote:

(7-yr old 40-gal gas heater)

Our hot water got suddenly very 'rusty' two days ago. Cold water is
clear. I flushed the tank several times, and it still comes out dirty.
The company says to replace the anode rod. The question is, how?

The anode rod finally came free, just with repeatedly using the
(extended) breaker bar. And, it's _not_ rusty, contrary to the mfr's
certainty of that. They were saying it was the rod that was prodcing
the rust, after its plating had been exhausted. Instead, it's coated
with white slug (lime?)

So, the rust must be coming from the tank. For the cost of a rod, I
think I'll go ahead and replace it, do the vinegar flush thing, and see
where it takes us.

Glad you got it open,
Mine looks the same with the "sludge" scary to think you drink/shower in
that. but oh well.
I put hydrogen peroxide in mine every month or 2 to kill a sulfur smell that
grows from bacteria in my well.

Dave