Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] pankr003@gmail.com is offline

Default Simple stand to trim bowl blanks with a chain saw

This post is for fellow beginners who use chain saws to shape bowl
blanks since they don't have big band saws.

I was using an electric chain saw to shape the blanks using my foot to
hold the blanks in place until realizing the more times you do this
the better the chance you injure your foot. Trent Bosch has a video
on bowls where he demonstrates a stand to hold bowels for carving
after they are turned. I started wondering if there was a way to make
something similar but simpler to hold bowl blanks whle cutting off the
corners so they fit on a lathe. Bosch's stand used compressed air and
you could screw a faceplate to it. That would be big bucks.

This is a link to something much simpler and cheaper you may want to
do: http://warpedwoodturner.blogspot.com...blank-cutting-
stand.html

The stand consists of two floor flanges connected to a piece of pipe.
One flange is attached to a wooden stand formerly used under the axle
of a light to keep the wheels off the ground. The other floor flange
is screwed to the log after cutting it in half. The top flange is 4"
in diameter and works fine with a 4" faceplate if you mark the wood
before removing the top floor flange. (I should add 'floor flange' is
what the lavel on the thing said. I am not a plumber).