Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

Hiya Folks,
Well I think I got it working. I adjusted the height of the outfeed
table relative to the blades and was able to get it cutting without snipe
and without creating that taper I was getting. Thanks much for the info.
If nothing else, it was a colorful thread! What I learned: The
jointer needs to be set up to within a gnat's ass in the way of
tolerances. And, I need to buy a better blade. I too use the jointer
to remove the blade marks.

Well, as close as possible, within wood tolerances. Though I'm still
puzzled how you got the beginning of a board, as presented, narrower than
the end which followed. That's characteristic of table droop, not high
outfeed.

What's most interesting about this thread is the number of people who don't
understand how a jointer works. Hopefully you're not one of them now,
having learned that the jointer removes a measured amount of stock
determined by the exposure of the knives from a board rested on the table
for best average straightness. If you have parallel edges, they will remain
parallel if you use your properly adjusted jointer to clip the edges.
Andrew seems to have set up his own straw man, but he's right in saying that
you don't _make_ stock parallel with a jointer normally. Takes scribing and
working it as the big plane it is to do that.

But, if your tablesaw produces a parallel but slightly fuzzy edge because
you've gone too long between sharpenings, or you're feeding too fast and it
vibrates, or you tuck it a bit into the side as you transition to the
push-stick, &cetera ... you can clean it up with a quick pass on the jointer
prior to gluing. Some of us are so lazy in the other areas we allow for one
pass in our original rip. Or three, with lower grade lumber where we might
release tension and get a bow in the resulting piece. Thing is to be smart
enough to sight it and repair it at the jointer. Betting ripping misfeeds
and less-than-great lumber are the reasons for people's stance against
jointers. Had they sighted after the rip, they might have other opinions.