Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

I have to question this. What is it about a jointer that would cause it
produce a piece that is tapered?

A non fixed opposite reference that insures exact results of the piece being
processed. Ask this question, what is it about a TS WITH OUT a fence that
would cause it to produce a cut that is tapered?

Properly set up infeed/outfeed/cutterhead
relationships should indeed provide a non-tapered result.

That all looks good on paper but the human element is not ever properly set
up. The human element is the reference point and it is very in consistent.

Do you expect
your router to leave a tapered piece?

Yes, if I used it as a jointer to trim the entire edge of a board over and
over to achiece the desired width.

What's the difference between what
the router is doing and what the jointer is doing?

Typically a router used free hand and in a table does not have two different
parallel surfaces that the wood is being processed on like that of a
jointer.

I think you've been
settling for too little in your jointer setup. Or - am I out to lunch?

A jointer can produce good results but not as good as those done on the
proper machine.
I don't think you have been out to lunch so much as not having been trained
by a person that really knows what he is talking about.

You hear a lot of complaints about jointers, the reason is often because too
much is expected of them.