Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Take a piece of any stock that "has not" been edge jointed
at all. Run the stock through the jointer "several" times
and then measure with a accurate tool(calipers).

In my opinion, you "will" have taper to some degree. I have
a highly tuned, well adjusted DJ-20 and I know it will taper
a board in a heart beat. It has since the day I got it.

Then add in board "length" ... IME, even on some well set up machines, the
shorter the board the easier to induce taper, or in extremes, snipe.

You are dead on ... there are just too many variables/factors involved to be
using a jointer for anything else but it's intended function, which is not
'dimensioning" stock, but preparing it to be dimensioned.

.... and that in a specific, precise and methodical manner/procedure.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07