Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.consumers,sci.chem,uk.media.tv.misc
Richard Brooks Richard Brooks is offline

Default Oxygen Bleach

Sofa - Spud said the following on 13/02/07 21:48:
On 13 Feb, 20:53, Richard Brooks richardbro...@vickers-
supermarine.com wrote:
There was a great kids book in the local library that mentioned that
hydrogen peroxide mixed with manganese dioxide was what powered some
WWII torpedoes. There was also a small projectile launcher experiment
using the two same materials on the same page.

Powered the Nazi rocket plane the Me163 and we used it in the 50's in
the blu steel rockets AFAIK

Doesn't the peroxide sold in hairdressers come in varying strengths ?

You couldn't have books around like that in kids libraries now. It
showed you how the charges in chimney stacks were placed to blow them up
(or down) and the chemicals to make home made fireworks and explained
what brisance was. Kids were spoilt in those days but it kept them
reading! :-)

Richard.
--
"This week I have mostly been listening to -
RVW's "A Sea Symphony" and lots of William Alwyn stuff.