Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:05:31 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

If you start with parallel faces you should end up with parallel faces.

Not necessarily the case at all, either with edges, or faces. AAMOF, it you
happen to have done so, just consider yourself lucky ... this time.

If the board has any edge or face bow the faces/edges can still be
"parallel" ... joint one of those faces/edges and you will absolutely NO
longer have parallel faces/edges.

Then try to joint the opposite face/edge and you will be chasing your tail
with "taper" on one or both ends ... guaranteed.

As Leon correctly stated, a jointer simply should not be used in an attempt
to make opposite faces/edges "parallel".

The practice I have seen on woodworking tv shows goes like joint one
edge, rip on TS 1/32" oversize, then go back to the jointer to take
that 1/32" off. If the jointer isn't introducing a taper then they
should still be parallel.

I don't follow that practice because I know I've got some warp on the
infeed table. I can run a square down the length of the fence and
it's square at the outfeed side and at the start of the infeed, but
not at the infeed just in front of the cutter. I don't do anything
about it at this point because a) I can't be bothered because it still
makes straight edges and that's what it's supposed to do b) I don't
have a straight edge long enough that I *really* trust c) I will
probably end up wasting two days screwing with it and not get any
better.

-Leuf