Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default DP spindle lock?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi.. I just got a drill press and the manual shows how to use the
spindle lock, inserting a bolt into a threaded hole, but what is it
supposed to lock and when are you suppose to use this?

The spindle lock may actually be a "quill lock." Something that goes onto
the quill in a "V" groove to make sure the quill does not rotate or move at
all. When I sell multiple spindle heads to folks, a quill that rotates a
bit can cause all types of problems when using wide heads... Imagine a 30"
wide drilling head with chucks at both ends... If it is clamped to the
Quill - and it is - and the quill moves 1 degree, that translates into lots
of movement at the ends.

In wood, that might not be such a big issue because nobody I know uses a
micrometer on wood... But in metalworking, .001" to .005" is a typical
tolerance for location and/or hole size. ...That's thousanths of an inch
for those of you who don't get it. G For you non-Americans... That.s
roughly .0254mm

However... I think your device may keep the spindle extended to a set
position for some other use - maybe a small sanding attachment, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244