Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default DP spindle lock?

Also is it a common practice to use a mallet to install the chuck, I
wasn't sure how far the chuck should go into the tapered arbor, but I
was afraid the hammering might increase the runout of the drill.
Nothing is slipping so seems to be working for now.

Is the taper a morse taper or a jacobs taper?

Or... Is it 2" or less in length or longer? That will be enough to let us
know.

If it is a Jacobs taper (short) then you want it clean and dry - NO OIL!
Acetone to clean both the inside and outside surfaces is perfect but other
thinners may work as long as they don't leave a residue. I exclusively use
Acetone because it disappears fast. Set the chuck on the taper by hand then
whack it with a soft mallet (leather, rubber, wood with a regular hammer,
etc.) Hit straight on, not at an angle at all and you will be fine.

If it is a morse taper, clean surfaces the same way - NO OIL! Press the
morse taper in by hand and then either give it a VERY gentle hit with a soft
mallet or better yet, put a piece of wood on the table and use the arm to
"press" it into the taper.

If it falls out during use, you didn't clean it well enough or hit it hard
enough...

Make sure to open the chuck all the way in either case so that the jaws are
retracted. You don't want to damage the chuck jaws at all.

Shoot me a private e-mail (anyone) and I'll email you a PDF with the basics
for a Jacobs taper...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.