Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya,
I'm having some issues with my jointer and was hoping for some help.
I'm getting a tapered board with the front of the board narrower than the
trailing end (I'm edge jointing). I understand this could
be due to the tables not being parallel or the cutter head is too low. I
checked the tables and they seem
fine. I did lower the outfeed table slightly to where if I put a board

on
it and manually spin the cutter, it moves the
board about 1/2" or so backwards. But now I'm getting snipe. In the
past, I've fixed that by setting the outfeed table to be
just below the top of the cutters. Am I to assume that there is a very,
very fine line between snipe and taper here or
is there something else I should be addressing? I believe my technique

is
fine (hasn't changed in the 10-15 years since I've
been using a jointer with no problems).
Cheers,
cc

What I've found is that it is very important to ensure the total bed plane
is in proper alignment. It's easy to have the infeed tilted inward toward
the cutter head and the outfeed the opposite (or any of the myriad of other
combinations) - such that over the total length of the two beds, there is
not a parallelism. Co-planer and all those other words we like to throw
around. Re-do your measurements both at the cutter head and across the
total bed length.

Use your imagination and think about a piece of wood making its way through
the jointer bed in all of the various misalignment configurations.

--

-Mike-