Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
news
Stoutman wrote:

Only to take it out of parallel at the jointer??

Possibly.

There is no parallel reference on a jointer. Jointers make a face flat,
and/or one face an exact angle to another, based on the setting of the
fence.

Parallel edges or faces obtained on a jointer are based on luck. G

I have to question this. What is it about a jointer that would cause it to
produce a piece that is tapered? Properly set up infeed/outfeed/cutterhead
relationships should indeed provide a non-tapered result. Do you expect
your router to leave a tapered piece? What's the difference between what
the router is doing and what the jointer is doing? I think you've been
settling for too little in your jointer setup. Or - am I out to lunch?

--

-Mike-