Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Help with Jointer Setup

Stoutman wrote:
All of my training involved not expecting opposite faces to remain
parallel off the jointer, so I'll agree to disagree.

Maybe my faces are parallel, but since I don't expect them to be, I don't
check.

I'm confused. If you guys aren't getting parallel faces at the jointer than
why do people drop all that dough on those fancy Besseimer TS fences? I
guess I will stick with my $15 delta stock fence. g

My typical method of preparing stock:

- Cut the board to rough length with a hand or jigsaw.

- Possibly rip to rough width with the band saw. I don't always work
from a sawmill edge. If I'm not, I'd now create a roughly rectangular
board at the band saw, based on figure preference.

- Joint a face flat enough so I can thickness plane the other side.
This may leave hollows in the center of the board, as I'm not looking
for a perfect face yet.

- Thickness plane the non-jointed side flat, then flip the board to
totally flatten it and ensure both faces are parallel.

- Choose an edge and joint it 90 degrees to a face

- Rip the other edge to width, creating a second edge parallel to the
jointed edge.

This works great for me, others may prefer their own methods.