Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default clothes dryer not hot

lp13-30 wrote:
Probably the elements, but first check that you have 240 volts to them.
Obviously if you do, and they are not heating, they are bad. I doubt new
elements are terribly expensive, and replacing them can be a DIY
project. Dunno about your machine, but I worked on a GE dryer that was a
lot older than yours. The elements were behind the drum so the drum had
to be pulled out to get to them. This particular one was a major PITA
because the w&d were in a little storeroom with NO room to work,(I swear
i looked like the room was built around the machines), and it was during
the middle of summer in S.Tx. If your machine is in a place where there
is ample room to work, it shouldn't be that hard. I don't think there is
anything really tricky about the job. Go for it--worse case, you screw
it up and have to buy a new one anyway. Larry

Yeah, the element is usually in the rear. I've changed one on a Speed
Queen Commercial Dryer that I bought used. That dryer lasted about 37
years before the steel drum split apart. I called about a new drum, and
gave them the model number, and they asked for the "rest of the model
number" and when I told them that was it they were quite amused.
Interestingly, most of the parts were still available, and often the
same as the current production.

It's not a hard job to change it, but you have to get back there. 17
years old is not that old for a dryer.