Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default DP spindle lock?

wrote:

Also is it a common practice to use a mallet to install the chuck, I
wasn't sure how far the chuck should go into the tapered arbor, but I
was afraid the hammering might increase the runout of the drill.
Nothing is slipping so seems to be working for now.

Absolutely not. LIGHTLY set it by running the nose into a chunk of waste
wood on the table. Use maybe 2-3 times the effort needed to pull the tab
off a beverage can. That is; a single quick, firm, pull but not anything
heroic.

DO make certain that both tapered surfaces (internal & external) are
clean, smooth and very lightly oiled. Clean with mineral spirits, oil by
wiping light weight oil on by hand and then wiping off again with a
cloth or paper towel. We are not lubing the metal, we are sealing it.
The oil will occupy the surface abrasions and all will be well.

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000712-7, 02/12/2007
Tested on: 2/12/2007 3:13:09 PM