Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop Charles Bishop is offline

Default A little electricity 101 if you please

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article

,
tt (Charles Bishop) wrote:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, and wait for others to confirm before
you attempt repairs. If you touched your voltmeter to the wires on the
dimmer, I wouldn't expect to see any voltage at all.

That depends on whether the dimmer is on or off -- if it's off, I'd certainly
expect to see voltage between the two terminals on the dimmer, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't. Is the voltage due to the resistance of the dimmer? You don't
see voltage between the terminals of a regular switch do you?

The two wires there
are the load side of the circuit (black wire) and you won't show voltage
there. You need a neutral or ground to complete the circuit with your
multimeter.

The circuit is completed through the light bulb(s).

Interesting. I'll check next time I get a chance.

--
charles