Richard W.

Default Old Standby......

"patlandy" wrote in message
What would be the lathe equivalent of the Bridgeport? What I mean is
there must be a particular manufacturer and/or model of engine lathe
that has gained reputation among those of you who have used them.
Clausing, South Bend, something I can concentrate my search on.
Thanks,
Pat Landy

It's really a matter of opinion. My opinion of a South Bend is it's more of
a gunsmith lathe. I had one once a 10" model "A" almost 30 years ago. Would
I buy one now? No, I have out grown them, to under powered. Although they
did make a nice gear head, which would have been nice. But I haven't seen
many of them around.
When I was looking for a lathe I wanted an 18" X 54 Lodge & Shipley.
Don't remember the model right this moment. But the 20 hp and the heavy iron
that went with it, made it a real nice choice in my mind. What I found first
was a 16" Pratt & Whitney. 18.5" swing 7.5 hp and it fit in the space I had
better. It has enough power to get the material out of the way real quick. I
guess this isn't what you asked.
I would think probably a 15" Clausing or LeBlond or a 14" Monarch would be
the answer to your question. Still it's a matter of opinion. Also I think
15" swing lathe to go with a Bridgeport. Many years ago an outfit sold a
Bridgeport type mill with a 15" swing lathe as a package deal. I thought
that was a good combination and still do.

Richard W.