Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Wiring Electrical outlet

In article .com,
says...
snip
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I don't understand this
correctly. I understood that 15 Amp outlets are all rated for 20 Amps.

Tom

The ratings on the outlets are molded into the plastic bodies. All the
15A oulets in my stock are labeled '15A', period.The 20A outlets are
labeled '20A'. That seems to indicate that using the 15A's above
their capacity is not appropriate. Note that repair plugs also have
molded in ratings like outlets. HTH

Any UL-listed 15 A outlet is rated for 20 A pass through.

--
Seth Goodman

True, but generally preferred wiring practice these days is to use
pigtails for receptacles and not pass through the device itself.

The inspector I had wanted to see pigtails for neutral and ground
but didn't care about the hots (I pigtailed them anyway).

Common sense would dictate that an 89 cent duplex oulet is a dubious
candidate for long term survival at the 20 amp level.

Why? The passthrough connection is just a "wire". Less than a
buck for an outlet with 20A contacts, I'd agree.

Of course,
everyone can make whatever decisiuon they are comfortable with.

Sure. I generally use the $.89 variety myself. I've never had one
fail. Well, there is a broken one (plastic is cracked) in the
livingroom that is scheduled for replacement.

--
Keith