Posted to alt.home.repair
Freckles Freckles is offline

Default carbon monoxide alarm

"Zephyr" Someguy@an email address.com wrote in message
. ..
Hey folks,

I just finished talking with a co worker who is recovering from a carbon
monoxide scare. she had been sick for the past while and found out
recently when they checked out her basement and found CO at 700 ppm. She
had been sleeping with the door and window closed and it was making her
perpetually ill. Here's the scary part, she said she had these 1/2
smoke 1/2 CO alarms in her house. even though the basement was at 700
ppm. (which according to the specs on my kidde alarm should make it sound
in 4 minutes) none of her alarms sounded. ( I don't know what brand she
had)

This made me question my own alarm. I tested it, and it seems to function
correctly.
however, I'm not sure where it should be placed. Reading online some say
that the detectors should be placed on the ceiling, because the CO is
mixed in with the warm furnace air that rises. However, the person who
checked out my co workers house said that the CO generally falls, and so
the detectors should be lower to the ground.

what do you all think?

This is the alarm I have
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...O5%20sheet.pdf

Dave

The instructions that came with my unit said to place it about 3 feet above
the floor.

I place mine on a wall 3 feet off the floor about 3 feet from my wood
burning fireplace.