Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default carbon monoxide alarm

In article .com, " wrote:
I had a old computer power supply overheat, and set off the CO
detector not long ago. At least that APPEARED to cause the alarm....

Any burning action can cause elevated levels

Not necessarily due to CO, however -- other chemicals can cause false alarms.

We had a good example of that a few years ago. We had been using a chemical
paint stripper in the basement (no choice -- long story, but the thing we were
stripping is part of the house, and couldn't be carried outside), and about
four hours after we finished the CO detector in the furnace room (fifty feet
and two rooms away) began sounding. Because of the distance, and the
separation in time, we didn't connect that to the paint stripper, and called
the fire department right away. They came out with a sniffer, and found no
problems. The firefighters noticed the lingering odor of paint stripper, and
suggested that was probably the cause of the false alarm, which was confirmed
by a phone call to the manufacturer the next day.

--
Regards,