Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default crack in tub..help

On Feb 2, 4:24 pm, "Joe" wrote:
On Feb 2, 1:44 pm, "Bill Reece" wrote:

"me buy?" the only money they will get out of me is if I upgrade. I'm
thinking they will replace the defective tub with something they do not have
to tear the walls out to get in. It is a factory or manufacture defect.
They are the ones who will foot the bill. "Aquaglass" I believe. And this
guy has bought a lot of tubs from them. I get your drift though. I may try
to parlay this into a much nicer tub/shower situation.

Best bet is a Kohler one piece unit. I've had one for nearly a decade
and it still looks perfect. It did not need extra bottom support like
some brands do as it sits flat on the floor. Before that it was all
tile...no more, though.

In the end, you'd have a much nicer bathroom that'll last for many
years to come. The plastic shower enclosures are just crap.

Don't agree, see above. The fiberglass units are much easier to keep
clean. No nasty grout lines to soak up soap scum, etc. Many motels
these days keep their room cleaning costs down by specifying
fiberglass facilities. HTH

Joe

This tub was never done right to begin with if they didnt put sand or
morter mix under it. When you get the new one put in insist this is
done and you will have no promblems. Right behind the skirt you put
board to act as a stop for the sand fastened at each end, then you put
vapor barrier down across the floor and up the walls 6to8 inches . Put
down 1 1/2 to 2 inches playground sand or dry morter mix and work the
bottom of the tub down into it. This will give the tub firm support
across the bottom. YThis is the only way to assure no movement under
your weight of the bottom of the tub, up and down. This is the only
way to do a shower stall Ive put in at least 100 to 150 and never had
a leak. Also remember you caulk the door from the outside only not the
inside Goodluck