Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default carbon monoxide alarm

mm wrote:
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:21:15 -0500, "Zephyr" Someguy@an email
address.com wrote:

A molecule of carbon monoxide weighs 28. C=12 and 0=16.

70%+ (78?)of the air is nitrogen and a molecule of that weighs 28.
N=114x2.

So they weight the same.

It is weight per unit of volume at the ambient temperature that is
important.

The instructions that came with my CO detector said iirc that heightt
was not important.

From the link:
" The CO sensor shall be of a fuel cell design and shall meet the
sensitivity requirements of Underwriters Laboratories UL2034 Single and
Multiple Station Carbon Monoxide Alarms. The alarm can be installed on the
surface of any wall or ceiling following the UL/NFPA/Manufacturer's
recommended placement guidelines.

So what are the UL/NFPA/Manufacturer guidelines?

I suppose I would still avoid corners, out of the
air flow, so the very top or bottom of the wall is a bad idea.

My CO detector is plugged in at the only unused receptacle, which is
about 12 inches above the floor and it once went off at 3 in the
morning, and I awoke with a headache. Definitely CO.

If the detector was mounted higher, you might have avoided that
headache, but at least you avoid far worse.

This is the alarm I have
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...O5%20sheet.pdf

No offense but I eschew pdf files.

They sell bags of CO with which to test the detector. Flat foil bags
a couple inches square. I think I bought one at a hamfest, or got it
free somewhere, and iirc when it followed the directions (and opened
it near my detector) the detector went off.

Dave

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit