Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Wiring Electrical outlet

Good deal, just don't use them on 15 amp circuits

"Tom J" wrote in message
link.net...
Seth Goodman wrote:
In article . com, on
9 Feb 2007 15:10:53 -0800, Joe wrote:

snip
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I don't understand this
correctly. I understood that 15 Amp outlets are all rated for 20
Amps.

Tom

The ratings on the outlets are molded into the plastic bodies. All
the 15A oulets in my stock are labeled '15A', period.The 20A outlets
are labeled '20A'. That seems to indicate that using the 15A's above
their capacity is not appropriate. Note that repair plugs also have
molded in ratings like outlets. HTH

Any UL-listed 15 A outlet is rated for 20 A pass through.

Today I purchased some duplex GFCI receptales and the 20amp/20amp pass
through in the color I wanted was on sale cheaper than the 15amp/20amp
pass through, so in this case I got the 20/20, otherwise I'd have the
15/20.

Tom J