Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default carbon monoxide alarm

In article , "Zephyr" Someguy@an email address.com wrote:

however, I'm not sure where it should be placed. Reading online some say
that the detectors should be placed on the ceiling, because the CO is mixed
in with the warm furnace air that rises. However, the person who checked
out my co workers house said that the CO generally falls, and so the
detectors should be lower to the ground.

what do you all think?

I think you shouldn't take that person's advice. The *fact* is that, at room
temperature, the density of CO is only slightly lower than that of air:

Installation of Carbon Monoxide Alarm:

The density of Carbon Monoxide at 20 °C (68 °C) is 0.96716 which is slightly
lighter than the density of air (1.00). However, at 0 °C or 32 °F the density
is increased to 1.250 which is much heavier than air. Practically speaking,
placing the CO Alarm high or low is not a major concern at room temperature.
CO permeates a room much like the scent of perfume dispersing uniformly in all
directions and in effect engulfs a room. Install your CO Alarm within 40 ft of
all rooms used for sleeping purposes.

http://www.s-tech.ca/gas/index.htm

--
Regards,