Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default Toilet tank sweating

On Feb 8, 1:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

As another newsgroup member has already mentioned, "Ask This Old
House" has a show that describes how to help a homeowner to install a
mixing device to add a little bit of hot water to the water supply of
the toilet tank. You may want to go to their web site to see if they
have a summary of that show.

I watched that show quite a while ago. The home owner has several
kids and they "seem" to use one bathroom all the time. This
combination means that they keep flushing the toilet and keep bringing
in fresh and cold water into the water tank.

I am wondering may be you can minimize the problem by adding a low
cost water-saving device into the toilet to help reducing the water
usage for the "small one". Something that looks like a float that
stops the water flow quickly to flush the "small one". If someone has
a "big one", he can hold the handle bar down to keep the water flow
going to have a full flush. By reducing water usage, you can save
money in water bill, and you will add less cold water into the toilet
tank every time you flush -- meaning that you will have less toilet
tank sweating problem.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan