Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet tank sweating

I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

Don't bother trying to insulate the tank with styrofaom or any other
tricks. You need to warm up the water in the tank slightly. A
special fitting is made to mix hot water in so you don't get
condensation.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...187087,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

Common solution is to mix a little hot water into the supply with a
bit of creative plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much

that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor. . . .
I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question . . .
Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

Two factors governs the speed with which water
vapor (from air) condenses on the tank wall (and
therefore runs off into puddles.)
1 = Humidity (percentage of water vapor in the
air. The amount of water the air can carry is
governed by air temperature.)
2 = Temperature difference between the air and
the cold wall of the toilet tank.

If dehumidification is not attempted, you could
try insulating the tank. This is done by (draining
and drying the tank and) gluing expanded poly-
styrene or something to the side walls and bottom
of the tank. This is commonly done by some
builders, using foam a quarter of an inch thick.
The effect is small but you can try this cheaply
in case it helps.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most of the other suggestions relate to supply plumbing, which could
get expensive really fast. Many Kohler tanks are available with
insulation, for a reasonable cost, and changing the tank is a pretty
easy DIY project.

JK

On Feb 8, 12:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

In the humid months, my wife lays old towels under the toilets that
sweat too much.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

Often overlooked is a tank fill valve which is
leaking. The leak may be so small that you won't see/hear it,
but fresh, cold water may be constantly running into the tank.
(This can also be caused by a leaking flapper.)

Before you insulate or dehumidify or re-plumb the house g,
put some food coloring in the tank water. Don't flush.
See if the color appears in the bowl an hour later.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote:

I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

An aquarium heater can help.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.

You might run an $80 window AC indoors for very efficient electric heating.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 11:14 am, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

How about an inexpensive plush tank cover from KMart, WalMart, etc?
Works for us at our cabin in Flagstaff AZ, where the water gets pretty
cold this time of year.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:53 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Excellent suggestion Jim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:14:15 -0600, "Kate" wrote:

I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

imho:

This is based on what I've been told about my moisture problems, I use
to have.

First, If you have too high humidity, you should get a dehumidifer.
You might think you can't afford one, but you really can't afford NOT
to. Mold and wood damage can be happening. This can cause illness,
loss of home, and shorten lifespans of wooden items. Nuff said.

Ok, for the sweating toilet, after I had tackled my humidity problems,
I was told I can do the following.

1. Wrap the tank in a jacket. One of those fuzzy things, like a rug.
This will help insulate it, and prevent condensation.

2. Install an anticondensation kit, that insulates the tank from the
inside. It looks like sheet of foam board you glue to the inside of
the tank.

3. Install a mixer valve. This allows a small amount of ho****er to
enter the fill line and warm the water. Preventing condensation.

Now not a plumber, or mold expert, just passing on what was shared
with me.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 3:23 pm, LayPerson Tom wrote:

3. Install a mixer valve. This allows a small amount of ho****er to
enter the fill line and warm the water. Preventing condensation.

Yeah, I remember seeing the plumber guy on "Ask This Old House"
install one of those a while back. The sweating toilet victim seemed
to be happy.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 3:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

I would worry that if there is much sweating in this colder weather
that your house IS too humid and possibly requires more ventilation in
order to avoid potential mould and perhaps ultimately rot.
Do you regularly run ventilation fan and/or crack open a window after
shower/bath and/or when cooking etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:14 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

As another newsgroup member has already mentioned, "Ask This Old
House" has a show that describes how to help a homeowner to install a
mixing device to add a little bit of hot water to the water supply of
the toilet tank. You may want to go to their web site to see if they
have a summary of that show.

I watched that show quite a while ago. The home owner has several
kids and they "seem" to use one bathroom all the time. This
combination means that they keep flushing the toilet and keep bringing
in fresh and cold water into the water tank.

I am wondering may be you can minimize the problem by adding a low
cost water-saving device into the toilet to help reducing the water
usage for the "small one". Something that looks like a float that
stops the water flow quickly to flush the "small one". If someone has
a "big one", he can hold the handle bar down to keep the water flow
going to have a full flush. By reducing water usage, you can save
money in water bill, and you will add less cold water into the toilet
tank every time you flush -- meaning that you will have less toilet
tank sweating problem.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all of you for your input.

This particular toilet is in the hall bathroom and is uased all day long by
four family members. Thus the constant flow of cold water.
I think after considering all of your suggestions I will go and have a look
at the warm water idea. My husband is good at everything, so it shouldn't be
a big problem for him to connect a small valve with some warmish water
blended into it.

Again, many thanks to all for taking the time and thought to help me with
this problem!

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you for your input.

This particular toilet is in the hall bathroom and is uased all day long
by
four family members. Thus the constant flow of cold water.
I think after considering all of your suggestions I will go and have a
look
at the warm water idea. My husband is good at everything, so it shouldn't
be
a big problem for him to connect a small valve with some warmish water
blended into it.

Again, many thanks to all for taking the time and thought to help me with
this problem!

Kate

Much cheaper and easier to glue in the insulation inside the tank. I did
that years ago. You should be able to buy a kit at most any supply house.

http://www.ehow.com/how_117384_stop-toilet-tank.html

http://www.plumbingworld.com/sweatstopping_toilet.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Feb 2007 15:32:30 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 8, 3:23 pm, LayPerson Tom wrote:

3. Install a mixer valve. This allows a small amount of ho****er to
enter the fill line and warm the water. Preventing condensation.

Yeah, I remember seeing the plumber guy on "Ask This Old House"
install one of those a while back. The sweating toilet victim seemed
to be happy.

Jerry

Thinking about it, I don't think many people have a hot water line
real close. So they have to have one run. I'm guessing this will add
significantly to the cost of the solution.

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com