Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wayne Tiffany Wayne Tiffany is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

I would think that the more obvious problem would be the moisture that would
condense on all surfaces of it when it's brought in cold and it hits the
warmer moist air inside. Letting it temperature stabilize would take care
of that.

WT

"John Bachman" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:08:38 GMT, wrote:

this is the kind of topic where useful info is shared and learned by
nebisches as i
.

"wylbur37" wrote in message
roups.com...
During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10
degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work
each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures
can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause
damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by
too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion
and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for
damage to occur?

Most semiconductors have storage temperature ratings of -65 C. That
indicates that there would be no damage down to that point. However,
the designer probably anticipated a narrower range of operating
temperatures.

The characteristics of the semiconductors (and some passive
components) change with temperature so there could be performance
failure at temperatures below the design goals. Such a failure is
unlikely to be catastrophic but all bets are off beyond the design
limits.

Dig out the manual that came with the computer and see what it
specifies for operating temperature range. To be safe, turn the unit
off if it is going to be exposed to temperatures outside that range.

JMHO

John