Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Wiring Electrical outlet

Chris, I'm not saying you're incorrect. I am responding to the words written
by the OP, and I am referencing the NEC

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
The OP just said "an outlet", which on a dedicated 20 amp circuit needs
to be a 20 amp outlet.

Yes, but a standard household outlet is actually a *duplex* receptacle, so
it counts as two receptacles for the purpose of that rule. Thus, a single
15A duplex receptacle can be put on a 20A circuit.

If you were putting a single receptacle outlet (which is fairly rare in a
residential scenario) then yes, it would make sense to use a 20A one.

If it's in an unfinished basement storage area, it needs
to be gfci protected

That depends on the area. GFCI is not required here in Canada for
basements in general...only for receptacles within a certain distance of
wash basins.

Chris