Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull Nick Hull is offline

Default Snowblower hard to start (Tecumseh HMSK-80)

In article ,
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Propane has enough vapor pressure at 10 below zero, but butane would not.

Tell that to my bernzomatic torch. It will NOT light when it is very
colt. If I want to use it to light a fire I need to put it inside my
coat for a while to warm it up. Otherwize it just pops at me.
(turbotorch).

True, but it works much better after compression in a cylinder

A friend uses one to start his diesel tractor when he needs to blow
out his lane after a heavy snowfall. Takes it from the house with him
inside his coat, pulls the air intake tube off the manifold, lights
the torch and props it inside the manifold for a few minutes, then
cranks the engine. Starts right up like it was a summer day.
He tried once leaving the torch in the tractor cab - no go.

I believe that, a small propane torch only has enough fuel to run a ONE
cylinder small engine, you need more for a diesel tractor.