Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Snowblower hard to start (Tecumseh HMSK-80)

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:26:55 -0500, Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:20:30 -0500, Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

If it's still hard to start, the reliable way of cheating is to put an
unlit propane torch in the intake. Should start EZ and even idle with
no gas in the tank. When warm turn propane off.

This is really clever, I will definitely try that. I will do a lot of
experimenting tonight.

Man, I would not have thought of that in a million years. Thanks.

Steve

Hell....I thought everyone knew that trick. Small engines, motorcycles,
chainsaws etc etc

Not quite everyone, simple tricks need to be posted occasionally

Also remember the propane bottle needs to be warm. If the torch was
stored with the blower, you are out of luck.

Propane has enough vapor pressure at 10 below zero, but butane would not.

Tell that to my bernzomatic torch. It will NOT light when it is very
colt. If I want to use it to light a fire I need to put it inside my
coat for a while to warm it up. Otherwize it just pops at me.
(turbotorch).
A friend uses one to start his diesel tractor when he needs to blow
out his lane after a heavy snowfall. Takes it from the house with him
inside his coat, pulls the air intake tube off the manifold, lights
the torch and props it inside the manifold for a few minutes, then
cranks the engine. Starts right up like it was a summer day.
He tried once leaving the torch in the tractor cab - no go.