Posted to alt.home.repair
Layperson Tom Layperson Tom is offline

Default Toilet tank sweating

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:14:15 -0600, "Kate" wrote:

I have a Kohler toilet tank in one of the bathrooms that sweats so much that
it forms small puddles on the tile floor.

This worries me because I fear it will eventually soak into the baseboard
and down to the subfloor and cause a moisture problem.
I can't spend all day running back and forth to dry it off.

I've been told that it is because the humidity is too high in my house and
that I should get a dehumidifyer. That is out of the question, I cannot
afford one.
Though there is a certain amount of humidity, it makes it easier on the
sinuses this time of year.

The water here is quite cold right now, and I would like a simple solution
to this problem.

Have any of you any suggestions that are at little or no cost?

TIA!

Kate

imho:

This is based on what I've been told about my moisture problems, I use
to have.

First, If you have too high humidity, you should get a dehumidifer.
You might think you can't afford one, but you really can't afford NOT
to. Mold and wood damage can be happening. This can cause illness,
loss of home, and shorten lifespans of wooden items. Nuff said.

Ok, for the sweating toilet, after I had tackled my humidity problems,
I was told I can do the following.

1. Wrap the tank in a jacket. One of those fuzzy things, like a rug.
This will help insulate it, and prevent condensation.

2. Install an anticondensation kit, that insulates the tank from the
inside. It looks like sheet of foam board you glue to the inside of
the tank.

3. Install a mixer valve. This allows a small amount of ho****er to
enter the fill line and warm the water. Preventing condensation.

Now not a plumber, or mold expert, just passing on what was shared
with me.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info