Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29345 Ignoramus29345 is offline

Default Snowblower hard to start (Tecumseh HMSK-80)

Arizona, sounds like a good place, if it is anything like Oklahoma.

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:28:25 -0800, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus29345" wrote in message
I have a old military surplus Bolens snowblower. A couple of years
ago, when I bought it, I put in a brand new Tecumseh HMSK-80 engine
instead of trying to fix the old 6 HP engine. (replacement was trivial)

It is somewhat difficult to start. I feel that it is so because I am
not following a correct procedure and need some ideas.

I added an electric starter to this engine. (which is really great,
very helpful in bad weather). It also has a throttle (fast/slow lever,
with the boittom slowest position being OFF), and a choke.

My symptoms is that when I start it, at cold temps like 0 F, it
sputters, runs very rough and wants me to press the fuel rubber button
to supply extra fuel or else it dies.

I start it at idle speed, and tried various choke positions.

After a few tries like that, once it warms up a bit, it starts running
a little better, at which point I slowly move it to a full speed
running position.

Then it runs very strong and everything works great. It is a heavy
snowblower and can get through anything. But I would like to know how
to start these engines better.

I keep it outside, so it is as cold as ambient air, for example
yesterday it was about 0F. If a couple of minutes with a heat gun
would make a difference, I could try that. Any ideas?

A few. Most seasonal items have trouble starting because they have bad gas.
Smells like turpentine. It sits for the good part of a year and evaporates
and changes chemically.

Here's what I'd do:

Drain the gas when you're through with it for the season. Squirt a couple
of squirts of 3 in 1 oil or 10w through the plug hole with the cylinder at
bottom. Rotate the flywheel a couple of times. Put the plug back in.
Nothing special on starting, except, of course (duh) to put some fresh gas
in there and hope all things rubber haven't dried out and gone to dust in
the meantime.

Before you know you will need it, move it to a half way warm place if your
wife will allow it. Maybe just put a heat lamp on it overnight. Simple.

Have you ever thought of moving to Phoenix? People there don't even know
what snowblowers are.

Steve