Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Snowblower hard to start (Tecumseh HMSK-80)

Probably not your issue, but I went to full synthetic oil
in my old snow blower this year. It's a lot easier to pull
start. Also it mostly starts on the first pull instead of several.

Wayne D.

I have a old military surplus Bolens snowblower. A couple of years
ago, when I bought it, I put in a brand new Tecumseh HMSK-80 engine
instead of trying to fix the old 6 HP engine. (replacement was trivial)

It is somewhat difficult to start. I feel that it is so because I am
not following a correct procedure and need some ideas.

I added an electric starter to this engine. (which is really great,
very helpful in bad weather). It also has a throttle (fast/slow lever,
with the boittom slowest position being OFF), and a choke.

My symptoms is that when I start it, at cold temps like 0 F, it
sputters, runs very rough and wants me to press the fuel rubber button
to supply extra fuel or else it dies.

I start it at idle speed, and tried various choke positions.

After a few tries like that, once it warms up a bit, it starts running
a little better, at which point I slowly move it to a full speed
running position.

Then it runs very strong and everything works great. It is a heavy
snowblower and can get through anything. But I would like to know how
to start these engines better.

I keep it outside, so it is as cold as ambient air, for example
yesterday it was about 0F. If a couple of minutes with a heat gun
would make a difference, I could try that. Any ideas?