Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Snowblower hard to start (Tecumseh HMSK-80)

First, baseline the carb by adjusting hot for best idle and load RPM.
Then, for low temp starting, start with the throttle 3/4 to full open,
w/full choke. As soon as the engine lights, quickly tweak the choke for
best initial rpm, where the engine clears out some and starts to rev.
This is your baseline choke start position. On the next cold start, use
this choke setting for starting. If OK- done. If not, more
experimentation with richer choke initial setting is req.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Oh, how did uyou convert to ES? Did you have to buy a ringed flywheeel?

Ignoramus29345 wrote:
I have a old military surplus Bolens snowblower. A couple of years
ago, when I bought it, I put in a brand new Tecumseh HMSK-80 engine
instead of trying to fix the old 6 HP engine. (replacement was trivial)

It is somewhat difficult to start. I feel that it is so because I am
not following a correct procedure and need some ideas.

I added an electric starter to this engine. (which is really great,
very helpful in bad weather). It also has a throttle (fast/slow lever,
with the boittom slowest position being OFF), and a choke.

My symptoms is that when I start it, at cold temps like 0 F, it
sputters, runs very rough and wants me to press the fuel rubber button
to supply extra fuel or else it dies.

I start it at idle speed, and tried various choke positions.

After a few tries like that, once it warms up a bit, it starts running
a little better, at which point I slowly move it to a full speed
running position.

Then it runs very strong and everything works great. It is a heavy
snowblower and can get through anything. But I would like to know how
to start these engines better.

I keep it outside, so it is as cold as ambient air, for example
yesterday it was about 0F. If a couple of minutes with a heat gun
would make a difference, I could try that. Any ideas?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"