Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Accoustic lagging of a cold water pipe

Ben wrote:
Hi, I have a cold water pipe, 15mm copper, going through my bedroom.
When there is much water use elsewhere in the building I can hear
rushing water through this pipe. It is not that bad, but is a bit
annoying. The pipe itself runs through an airing cupboard with three
brick walls on each of its sides and a flimsy door.

I was wondering if there was much I could reasonably do to cut down on
the noise? Wrapping it is nome kind of absorbant lagging, or
insulating the door of the cupboard itself?

That sort of sound is probably being transmitted by air, especially if
the cupboard is brick walled.

One way would be to build a brick enclosure for the pipe..but a heavy
hermetically sealed door is probably just as good.

Cheers,

Ben