Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
default default is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 05:59:32 -0500, JW wrote:

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:14:11 -0500 default wrote
in Message id: :

The hard drive
lubrication is thick and the speed of rotation can be low enough to
let the heads contact the disk.

Doubtful. A hard drive does not load the heads until the platters are up
to speed.

That's what I thought. I use slide in hds on my desktop for backups,
then they go into a different area for storage. Lost the D drive on a
cold start (~50 deg.) and didn't think much about it but dragged out
the backup drive that was stored at 40 deg. Instant audible
destruction. I'm guessing the mechanism was a thick lubricant - but
don't know that for a fact. I looked up the specification on the
drive and it was 0 deg - 160 degrees for storage and 45 -110 for
operating temperature.

There was no doubt what the sound was, the old Winchesters would fail
that way - come into work on a Monday and you could hear it as soon as
the elevator doors opened. The drives were under warranty so I didn't
open them.

Both drives were relatively new Hitachi/IBM.

I rigged a little heater I can put in under the drives and let them
warm for a few hours before powering if the room temp is below 60.
Maybe there is no correlation between the temperature and failure -
but with the work involved in switching a drive, I'm not prepared to
take the chance.