Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Martin Thompson Martin Thompson is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

"DaveM" writes:

In contrast, equipment and components that are rated for automotive
service are rated for higher temperatures as well, but not to the
extremes of military components. If memory serves, the
industrial/automotive temperature range is -40C to +85C.

Stuff that goes in the engine bay tends to be speced to +125 degC.
In-cab stuff usually gets away with 85 degC, but some of it not even
that. [We have a forward looking camera system that gets *really* hot
when it sits in the sun, so we have to use 85 deg rated parts, even
though it is mounted on the windscreen, in cab.]

Conformal coatings and potting are methods used to protect
components and equipment used in those environments. The relative
reliability of present-day automotive electronics over those of 20
years ago is a testament to the advances in component and assembly
construction.

Agreed!

Cheers,
Martin