Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
default default is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

On 5 Feb 2007 04:02:47 -0800, "wylbur37"
wrote:

During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10
degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work
each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures
can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause
damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by
too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion
and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for
damage to occur?

Damage can and will occur if you power up a computer sitting at 10
degrees (anything below about 50 is risky). The hard drive
lubrication is thick and the speed of rotation can be low enough to
let the heads contact the disk.

And there's a risk of condensation or frost on the electronics boards.
Fluorescent back lights may not work. LCD screens ditto

But you are probably safe to store a computer at that temperature for
a time then let it warm and sit for a time to allow any moisture to
evaporate