Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Al Al is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

wylbur37 wrote in message
ups.com...
During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10
degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work
each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures
can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause
damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by
too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion
and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for
damage to occur?

It is more a question of water condensation on traces and components and
even into components via capillary action when the kit is brought indoors to
warm air, plus mechanical problems again more to do with condensation

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

The problem is with temperature cycling. The solder joints eventually
fracture and lead to either intermittents or opens. You can really
stress you electronics by letting it cold soak and then turning it on.
It may not fail immediately, but you have shortened its life.

Al