Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
wylbur37 wylbur37 is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10
degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work
each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures
can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause
damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by
too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion
and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for
damage to occur?